Does BeReal Have What It Takes to Become the Next Big Thing in Influencer Marketing?
Who or what is BeReal?
Alexis Barreyat and Kevin Perreau are responsible for the development of the BeReal photo-sharing social media app in France. The app has been operating since 2020, but it wasn't until the middle of 2022 that it started to acquire interest on a worldwide scale.
BeReal users receive a simultaneous daily notice encouraging them to post a photo utilizing the app's one-of-a-kind front- and dual-facing camera capability. The window of opportunity to do so is only two minutes long. Because users do not have enough time to create the perfect photo as they could on other platforms, the app's strict publishing deadline encourages users to upload material that is more honest. Additionally, BeReal does not permit the use of filters or photo retouching, and the platform does not (yet) include official adverts or follower counts.
What happens when the BeReal app put its features to use?
BeReal's simplicity, which accounts for most of its allure, makes the game surprisingly straightforward and simple to master. Its founders purposefully restricted the capabilities of the site in order to prioritize authenticity above aesthetics and give a "genuine" glimpse at what individuals are truly up to in their day-to-day lives.
Take a look at this to get yourself organized:
1. Make sure you have an account. You will be prompted by the application to select a username, profile display name, brief bio, and profile image for your profile.
2. Add some buddies. You may pick somebody to follow by searching for a username or selecting someone from your contacts.
3. It's Time to Face Reality. All users of BeReal are sent a reminder throughout the day at an arbitrary moment stating, "It's time to BeReal."
4. The time now begins to tick. After receiving the message, you will have 2 minutes to use either your front or rear camera to take a picture of the BeReal. You can publish your BeReal after the allotted time window has passed, but the app will inform your connections that you were too late.
5. Would you want another try? BeReal photos may be retaken up to ten times, but each time, your followers will be able to see how many attempts it took for you to achieve the perfect photograph.
6. Add a caption to the image. Start a conversation off on the right foot by providing some additional context.
7. You are not permitted to snoop! Once you've posted a photo of yourself, you'll be able to check out what your pals have been up to.
Are advertisements from brands permitted on BeReal?
BeReal finds sponsored advertisements to be invasive and therefore does not permit them on its site. The app's unwavering dedication to "genuine" material is great, but it does raise some concerns about the viability of the platform, particularly because Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat are all rolling out features that are like those of Snapchat.
According to reports, for BeReal to remain competitive with its more financially stable competitors, the company is mulling over the possibility of offering premium services and memberships in order to earn income. Additionally, it hasn't totally ruled out the possibility of selling advertisements in the future. However, many marketers, for reasons that are easy to understand, are hesitant to invest in a plan for a platform that is not now lucrative.
Having said that, the time investment required for BeReal is rather low. In addition, the authentic content and interactions that are encouraged by the platform have already made it possible for certain well-known brands to present themselves in an entirely new light.
One thing is certain, however, even though it is not yet known whether BeReal will be in existence for the foreseeable future: audiences are eager to give your brand a go on the app as long as you agree to play by the rules. You may reach a younger audience and become a part of the discussion by maintaining the authenticity of your content and staying true to the spirit of the app. This allows you to do this while the platform remains one of the biggest attractions in the App Store.
If you’re interested in learning more about influencer marketing and how Smartfluence can help you establish and scale your influencer marketing campaigns, feel free to book a demo here.